|What does my
Chamber do for Me?
Good question. The primary function of
the Chamber is community development and promotion. But what
does that mean to me? Here is a list of specific activities your
Chamber is involved in:
- We promote members individual businesses by:
- Listing you in the Business Directory
- Listing you on the Internet
- Telephone & office referrals to your business
- Mail information about you when we recieve requests by mail, phone or
the Internet about your kind of business or service.
- Promoting your business through Business After Hours (Other business
people visit your business for an informal "get-to know- you-better"
- Allowing you to share your business news in our newsletter, Chamber
- Providing you a copy of the Chamber mailing list, upon
- Distribute your business information sheet, pamphlet or brochure, if
you supply us with them
- Include your material in the "Newcomers Packet"
|The Chamber also works to
increase the traffic in your business by attracting more business to the
area, generally. To do that we are engaged in a host of activities to promote the
area as a whole.
- We promote your businesses, collectively by:
- Magazine articles and advertisements to attract tourist and retirees (both spend money)
- Maintain a very extensive and detailed Internet presence to reach
those using the "new way to shop and plan". This is a combined effort of the Chamber,
Jasper Industrial Development Board, Walker County Economic & Industrial Development
Authority, Walker County Commission and The City of Jasper.
- Sponsorship and/or assistance to groups that undertake promotions to attract crowds to
our communities, such as the various Christmas Parades throughout the County, The
Foothills Festivals, Carbon Hill's Centennial Celebration, Old York events and others
- Participation in regional and statewide promotional organizations that promote the area
like the Mountain Lakes Association, Birmingham Area Chamber of Commerce, Birmingham
Regional Planning Commission, Alabama Department of Tourism
|We work to improve the economic stability of the
County, so more people have more money to spend with you!
- We work to attract new jobs to Walker County. More jobs mean more money to spend with you.
- Construction of a "Spec Building" so a potential Industry can move in quickly
and less expensively
- Assist the Walker County Economic and Industrial Development Authority, ALL
municipalities and other development boards in the County in their effort to locate
- Work with local, state and federal officials to seek funding for needed infrastructure
improvements to allow growth, such as:
- Completion of Corridor X
- Adequate water and sewage systems
- Parks and recreational facilities
- Needed road improvements
- We work to retain existing jobs so we don't lose money that is currently spent with you.
- Sponsor Small Business Administration assistance in cooperation with the University of
- Promote and sponsor educational programs for members, such as Leadership Walker County
- Organize and provide employee training for your employees upon request,
in such areas as salesmanship, secretarial workshops, seminars, advertising, marketing and
|Your Chamber works to improve
the Quality of Life of all Walker Countains not only through the
above effort toward economic development, but also in promoting the activities of ALL
organizations and institutions that provide the community with educational, cultural,
civic, recreational and community programs and projects.
Under new leadership,
your Chamber is growing and thriving. But, it is not a government agency.
Its main method of funding is membership dues. With a staff of only three people,
there is too much work to be done by them, alone. Your Chamber needs your
support, both financially, through your membership dues, and by volunteering your time and
serving on a committee or providing your expertise in an area of vital need. Join,
renew and serve. Call 384-4571 today!