Getting To Know Your County
Walker County was formed in 1824 from parts of Marion and Tuscaloosa Counties. It was named for John W. Walker, one of Alabama's first United States Senators.
Jasper, named in honor of Sergeant William Jasper, a Revolutionary War Soldier, was settled in 1815, but was not incorporated until 1888. The first significant growth of the area was realized in 1886, when the Kansas City-Memphis and Birmingham and the Sheffield and Birmingham railroads were completed through Jasper. The population grew from 200 people in 1886 to more than 3,000 in 1890. In a special edition of an 1891 The Mountain Eagle, it was stated that there were 400 coke ovens in operation, six coal mines, one foundry and machine shop, two saw mills, one brick work, two sand stone quarries, four hotels and two banks. The population of Jasper is estimated to be 14, 026.
Other Walker County towns flourished because of coal, timber industries and the location of railroads just before the turn of the 20th century. The population of Walker County is estimated to be 69,849 persons.
Carbon Hill, settled in 1886 because of coal mining and the railroad, is joined today by manufacturing and agriculture industries. The population today is 2,115.
Cordova , originally called Dent, began when people settled along the Warrior River around 1882. In 1890, a large cotton mill was built, providing employment for nearly 500 people. The population in 1990 census was 2,623.
Dora , located in a valley through which the Kansas City-Memphis and Birmingham Railroad was built in 1886, was a whistle stop-watering point called Sharon. Today, the city is primarily engaged in commerce along U.S. Highway 78. The population in the 1990 census was 2,214.
Eldridge, was originally called Camp Springs, an Indian camp site. With the completion of the Bylff Road it became a stage coach stop. The town incorporated in 1970 and today has a population of 225.
Kansas, located in the extreme western portion of the county, was a stop on the Burlington Northern Railroad. Today it has a population of 320
Nauvoo, located in northwestern Walker County, was earlier known as Ingle Mills until Tom Carroll named it after Nauvoo, Illinois. The town was established in 1888 because of the Northern Alabama Railway construction. Population in 1990 was 240.
Oakman , one of the oldest towns in the county was called Day's Gap and Marietta prior to 1895 when it was incorporated. Population in 1990 was 846.
Parrish, originated as Hewitt, was a post office served by the Pony Express and became the junction of the Sheffield, Birmingham and Tennessee and the Georgia Pacific Railroads. The population of Parrish is 1,433.
Sipsey, located on the banks of the Warrior River, is the site of Warrior Town, an original Indian settlement. The population in 1990 was 568.
Sumiton , was incorporated in 1952 and named because of its location at one of the highest elevations in the county. Earlier names included Commercial and Democrat. The 1990 population was 2,604